Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Buckwheat Pancakes



Okay listen. I'm perhaps the least qualified person on the planet to start doing cooking tutorials, but I was making buckwheat pancakes for the hubs yesterday morning, and I thought just in case anyone needed some pancake tips, I might help. Let's begin.

Here's what you'll need (this picture is minus the buttermilk, which is being created on the opposite counter.  Did you know that if you mix together one cup of milk with one tablespoon of vinegar and let it sit a few minutes you make buttermilk?  Fun fact.):


The green egg isn't required, but it is fun.  And never you mind what the wine is for.  That's neither here nor there.

In a medium bowl whisk the dry ingredients together, then set those aside.

Beat together the egg and molasses, then add in the melted butter and buttermilk.  Now add the wet to the dry and whisk together.

More after the jump...



At this point I was quite disturbed by the batter, which was SUPER thin and also lumpy (I doubt this terrible picture helps shed any light on the situation, but here it is, nonetheless):


But I soldiered on, measuring 1/4 cup of batter and pouring it onto my hot skillet (prepped with a bit of non-stick spray).


I cooked four at a time, and here is the only part of the recipe where I have any small tips to offer.  I took some pictures of pancakes when they aren't quite ready to flip and when they are, in case you have any trouble in that area (heaven knows I learned the hard way).
This one isn't ready to flip, even though some bubbles have started to emerge:


This is what happens when you try to flip too early:


Told you I learned the hard way.  And I use "learned" in the loosest sense of the word.  I still do this at least once per pancake outing.

This one is ready!


See how the edges are sort of golden and firm looking?  That's what you want.

And this is what it looks like when done properly.  So pretty!


This recipe made WAY too many for just the hubs and me, but probably would have been about right for four people.  I kept the huge wobbly stack toasty in the oven.


And then I gooped on the Irish butter and the fake syrup (I admit I can't stand real maple syrup.  It's a personal flaw.) and went to town.  So tasty!!


Here is the recipe (slightly adapted from Serious Eats):


  • 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar

  • 1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) whole buckwheat flour

  • 3/4 cup (3 1/8 ounces) all-purpose flour

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 egg

  • 2 tablespoons molasses

  • 2 cups buttermilk

  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted


Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl, set aside.

Whisk together egg and molasses, then add in buttermilk and melted butter.  Stir wet into dry (mixture will be thin) and pour  scant 1/4 cups onto a hot griddle prepped with cooking spray or butter.  Flip when bubbles appear.  Enjoy with whatever topping you like.  Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS